Sunday, November 8, 2009

taking turns literally through the roll of a dice

In my working and home life, I attempt to influence and control the outcome of many situations, either through direct intervention, quiet and not so quiet coersion, or subtle guestures that waft the course of affairs in the direction that I think is best. It works most of the time and the 80-20 rule sits well with me. But there are some things that refuse such influence.

One of these is the path to any one given destination. I experienced this today on my anniversary. We set off in the morning but rolled a dice to control our route. Evens go left, odds go right. This varied through the day to north-south, east-west, straight-right and left-straight. This seem to have the odd effect of having us follow the grey clouds and showers of rain, even down to the beach.

Not everything can be planned but you can have fun along the way by making the journey interesting. Hey, roll a six and you also get to change who is at the controls, after stopping safely of course.

Now I am wondering if this technique can also be used to determine which of the many high priority jobs I tackle at the start of each days work. The dice has 6 sides right. So by assigning a job to each number, this takes the hassle out of deciding which gets prime attention and should remove any guilt about not giving an equal amount of attention to the others. Now if only I could control the amount of unplanned work that the system itself generates then life would be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment